Old May 31st 18, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 2:37:20 PM UTC-4, Wit Wisniewski wrote:
In my opinion, Flarm should have been chosen as a universal system for
worldwide collision avoidance between all aircraft over ADSB-out/in.

No, they have different characteristics and meet different needs.

Flarm is banned in the US.

No, original FLARM cannot meet USA FCC requirements, so is not legal in USA.
Original FLARM would work very poorly in USA due to other spectrum use.

PowerFlarm is a very low transmit power attempt at salvaging
some Flarm capability.

No, PowerFLARM is the logical evolution of FLARM, with better radios,
and meeting USA FCC requirements (which was costly).

I see many local XC pilots contemplating or already installing ADSB-out
to promote safety with respect to non-glider traffic.

If their primary collision risk is non-glider traffic, that is exactly
what they should be doing.

With limited money, battery power, and panel space, and with only
a minority of gliders/towplanes equipped, I expect PowerFlarm to go extinct.

No, PowerFLARM and FLARM address glider-glider conflicts which cannot be
addressed with ADS-B technology.

It would help all of us if you would get your facts straight.

Or is Wit actually a witless troll???

Really now...