Old November 9th 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gpsman

Default Thrown out of an FBO...

Jay Honeck wrote: brevity snip

He laughed and said that he "Had to fill the tank more often than
that!", to which I laughingly replied "Yeah, the only time the tanks
don't get filled at our place is when charter pilots use our van --
those guys are the cheapest SOBs around!"

His face suddenly flushed red, and his tone abruptly changed. "Well,
I'm a charter pilot, and I believe you're insulting me, now..."

Ouch!

he
growled in a quiet but somehow menacing voice. Still laughing, not
sure if he was joking, too, but somewhat alarmed at his sudden change
of tone, I replied in a conspiratorial way "Well, we all know *why*
they don't fill the tanks -- they're not making diddly squat, and those
kids can't afford to shell out too much cash..."

This placated him not at all. He went on to tell me how he's got "Six
charter pilots working for him, and they all make a good wage, and you
shouldn't be making blanket statements insulting 'em that way..."

Ouch!

Just like *that* the atmosphere in the office changed, and I was
starting to get flustered at his sudden change of personality. Mary
piped up and said that this was all "Just our observation of the way
some charter pilots behaved...", and I replied that I was "Just joking
around..." -- to which he snarled "Okay, 'John Kerry' -- maybe you
folks shouldn't be coming around here and borrowing my car anymore..."

I was dumb-founded -- he was kicking us out, and asking us not to come
back! Mary (for the first time in a very long time) was speechless. I
simply didn't know how to handle a situation that had gone from
friendly to adversarial in the span of three sentences.

Take it from an expert, you should've just apologized at the first ouch
and changed the subject to politics or religion.

It it were me, and I valued this relationship, I would find out one of
his favorite things, be it beer or cigars or White Castles and fly back
in at my earliest opportunity with a gift of same and a contrite
demeanor in tow.

You are obviously nice and conscientious visiting pilots, surely a
small gesture will overcome this slight misunderstanding.
-----

- gpsman