Old May 24th 11, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

Default Lift - Newton/Bernoulli ratio...

In article , , Dylan Smith
says...

On 2011-05-23, Dave Doe wrote:
Thanks for the reply - looking for numbers, not the physics behind it.
IE looking for the percentage of lift obtained by each - and as I said,
although this is variable dependent no doubt on the plane and the
airspeed - just trying to get a rough idea (hence, say a C-172 or a
737).

100% is produced by Newton's laws.
100% is produced by Bernoulli's principles.

The laws of physics are not additive with "x% produced by Newton and y%
by Bernouilli", they are complementary. They are merely looking at
the same phenomenon - lift - from different perspectives.

Also, note that if you hear "the air travels faster over the curved
surface of the top of the wing so it meets the air going underneath
at the same time", this is wrong. The transit times are not equal,
air going over the top of the wing gets accelerated and arrives
at the trailing edge _before_ the air that goes underneath.

Cheers mate - no not arguing over that fallacy at all!

And we both agree the air over the top surface actually beats the air
underneath.

Thanks.

--
Duncan.