Old August 5th 03, 03:42 PM
FastMover114

Default Reserve Haters (Was... Privatizing Red Air Gaining Momentum)

VFA-201 deployed on TR with CVW-8 during OIF...If there's any animosity
towards SELRES/TARS in VFA-201 it must be because they "showed" up everyone
else in the Wing. What a shame, look at the Air Force, they do it, and they
have the Reserve and Guard.
"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 8/4/03 10:34 AM, in article
, "s.p.i."
wrote:

"Doug \"Woody\" and Erin Beal" wrote in

message

In the current "reserve hater" climate, their business plan/mindset:

"If you
build it, they will come" is correct. The active duty Navy would love
nothing more than to cash in their Category IV USNR hardware units (and
their impending need for re-equipping) for Hoss' Category III bunch.

Once
they've cornered the market, they'll be able to charge/negotiate

whatever
they need to recapitalize/maintain.

You just got back from a combat deployment, is there truly a "reserve
hater" climate out there?

In a word: "Yes." Not going to go into the details.

Oh is there a realization that this New
Semi-Cold War requires a radically different force structure-active
and reserve?

I agree with you. A radically different force structure is required...

But
that's for another post.

As to your second point, we are back to your rather fallacious
-flatuous really-make a buck at any cost theory again.

It's valid. Happens all the time. Admittedly, I'm cynical because I've
seen how folks at the top of some big businesses (i.e. major airlines)
attempt to cut corners to line their own pockets--and STILL manage to

bleed
the company coffers.

Re the first point, here is a good article:
http://www.usni.org/proceedings/Arti.../PROcvrk08.htm

Well-written article with some fairly naïve solutions--not the least of
which is having the active duty guys run the reserves.

The last thing a reservist wants is an active duty guy writing his FITREP.
Those guys mismanage their own enough.

I'm hoping you will reward me again with your comments about it Oh
Great Sky God Woody.

My pleasure to respond to such a well-read intellectual. Perhaps Ed's
right. The snideness is sort of... well... snide.

--Woody