Old August 26th 04, 01:44 AM
Icebound

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 158...
Recently I made a trip to Canada (Ontario), and thought I'd share some of
what I learned.

Sorry, I did not like Canadian VFR charts (VNC's) at all. Restricted areas
don't stand out like they do in the US sectionals. The same shading is

used
for restricted/alert/flight training areas, except for one letter in the
information block. Some restricted areas near Ottawa were shown by a solid
black circle with no additional information.

A good download to have when flying in Canada, available free online, is the
Designated Airspace Handbook from:

http://ats.nrcan.gc.ca/english/ATS_dah_e.html

(Note that the list is pre-populated for revisions yet to come, and the
current one is in larger typeface than the others)

Among other airspace descriptions, it includes all the
Restriced/Danger/Advisory areas.

So if all you see on the chart is the hashed circle with "CYR620" beside it,
you can look it up in this download and find that it is

CYR620 HARRINGTON LAKE, QC (Lac Mousseau)
The airspace within the area bounded by a circle of
1 mile radius centred on
N45°33'06.00" W075°55'45.00"
Designated Altitude – Surface to 2000´
Time of Designation – Cont
User/Controlling Agency – R.C.M.P. (613) 993-8675
Effective 0901Z 5 AUGUST 2004 to 0901Z 30 SEPTEMBER 2004
Operating Procedures – No person shall operate an aircraft within the area
described unless the
flight has been authorized by the User/Controlling Agency.

---
and so on.

.... snip...
Toronto City Center is a great airport to fly to. The view is fantastic,
and is walking distance from downtown. If you buy fuel you get one night
tiedown free, which is an unbelievable bargain considering how expensive

it
is to park your car in downtown.

Please write a nice email or letter to Mayor David Miller, contact
information he
http://www.toronto.ca/mayor_miller/contact.htm

......about how wonderful you found it, and how you and your International
friends intend to visit frequently and spend lots of money. And to please
make sure that he doesn't make the same mistake with his waterfront jewel
that the dastardly mayor of Chicago did. And maybe even about how
convenient it would have been, had there been a bridge instead of that dumb
ferry back into the city.

..... and I AM serious, because we get the feeling that it is hanging by a
thread. A bridge was planned, and he is personally responsible for
scuttling it.... The lawsuits are still pending, I believe.

.... snip...

Canada was a great place to fly, and in some sense they seem to enjoy more
flying freedom than here. There are no last minute TFRs, and they seem to
be more relaxed about flying than the post 9/11 paranoia we have here.

--
*** A great civilization is not conquered from without until it
has destroyed itself from within. ***