Old April 14th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default I Want to Fly Military Helicopters!

John Yasar wrote:
boB wrote:

Warrant Officer would be best. Regular Officers, as we called them, only
flew for a few years before they were assigned to non-flying positions.

Bob you are right, I offered the option just because some people like
the glory of being a line officer, regular officer, whatever you call
them. I agree with you because for the first time in my life I have seen
a O3 quitting her duties (S3) to go warrant. Flying was a passion for
her that she went backwards in the promotion table.

A warants job is TO FLY, FLY, FLY, yes they have some additional duties
such as fire prevention officer, safety officer, but those are side
duties not their job that it prevents them from flying actively.

If the recruiter tells you flight school is an option have him put it in
writing and go for it. You will never regret it.

If you do see a recruiter let us know how it turns out.

So much crap those recruiters give to kids when they want to go civilian
to warrant, hard to find one recruiter that would work with you for that
specific route. I always suggest getting in the Army as enlisted and
then applying Warrant as the best route but it has its disadvantages also.

Ok, so here's my update. I've been talking to my local recruiter and
he seems really helpful. He tells me that if this is what I want to do
that he will put all the "foot work" in to help me that's necessary
(scheduling physicals and tests, getting my application together,
etc.). It seems like he's done his homework, talking to various people
who have gone high school to warrant/pilot and seems to think there is
a pretty solid chance I will get in. I am told that I don't have to
sign anything until I am actually accepted into the program, which
seems like a major plus to me. I haven't had anything to make me
suspicious so far, and everything seems to be exactly as I would have
hoped. Maybe it seems a little too perfect. What might he not be
telling me, or is it as good as it seems??

Thanks for all your advice.