Old August 16th 15, 12:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)[_2_]

Default Seldom-seen WWII pix

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 15:24:18 +0100, RiŠardo
wrote:

On 8/9/2015 2:28 PM, Charles Lindbergh wrote:
On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 22:07:28 -0700, "Bob (not my real pseudonym)"
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 13:04:52 +0000, Charles Lindbergh
wrote:

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 12:15:23 +0100, RiŠardo wrote:

On 8/8/2015 2:35 AM, Byker wrote:

Fairey Swordfish - A remarkable aircraft:

"Although Swordfish numbered no more than 27 aircraft, they sank an
average 50,000 tons (50,800 MT) of shipping every month. During one
month, they sank a record 98,000 tons (99,572 MT). Swordfish attacked
enemy convoys at night although they were not equipped with night
instrumentation. The risky night missions were necessary to avoid German
fighters which encircled the island of Malta by day. On June 30, 1940,
Swordfish completed a raid attacking oil installations at Augusta in
Sicily."

http://www.aviation-history.com/fairey/swordfish.html

RiŠardo

Ricardo, I read the article you posted. I was shocked the Swordfish holds the record for sinking more tonnage
than any other allied aircraft during WWII.

I am guessing this had a lot to do with circumstance as opposed to any remarkable capabilities of the
aircraft, what is your perspective on this?

I would suggest the remarkable capabilities of the crews.

Yeah, I'm sure that's it! ;-)

There's interesting comment today by way of a letter to one of our
national newspapers where the Swordfish gets a mention, as does the
Pacific War of which little is heard about the substantial British
contribution:

"Sir,

The "Forgotten Fleet" and its aircraft will be remembered today when a
vintage Royal Navy Swordfish biplane leads the fly-past over Horse
Guards Parade in London as part of events to commemorate the 70th
anniversary of VJ Day.

The British Pacific Fleet was the largest strike force ever assembled by
the Royal Navy*** and it fought alongside the US Navy in 1945. Aircraft
of the Fleet Air Arm undertook the largest ever raid in aviation naval
history on the oil fields at Palembang in Sumatra, and British naval
aircraft carried out raids upon Japan itself.

It's most appropriate that a Swordfish, which saw action in every year
of the war, will represent not just the forgotten fleet but the
oft-forgotten Fleet Air Arm too.

We should all take a moment today to remember those who fought the
Japanese Empire. Most who survive are nearly 90 years old or more. They
deserve our salute.

Lt-Cdr Lester May RN (retd)

*** To put that into context, Britain provided three-quarters of the
warships and landing craft for the D-Day landings in Europe!

RiŠardo

Hear, hear!