Old September 2nd 18, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Air parks and gliders

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 7:15:06 AM UTC-4, John Dezzutti wrote:
At 03:02 30 August 2018, Bob Youngblood wrote:
I have been reading some of the comments made on another

thread and
thought=
that it would be best discussed as a specific topic.
Over thirty years ago my wife and I moved from Miami to Vero

Beach. We
imme=
diately started flying off our own strip with the help of a fellow
resident=
who supplied the tow plane. Each property owner had an equal

vote on the
a=
irport operation and there were no property owners who were

not aviation
or=
iented. As time went on there was never a problem with flying

gliders at
FD=
25. As time has evolved there are non aviation oriented property

owners
who=
now have homes on the strip. Each time when a new

homeowner arrives we
hav=
e a discussion and present the new owners with a copy of the

bylaws and
inf=
orm them of the main purpose of the community. As to date we

have had no
pr=
oblem, nor do we expect one. I do know of a fellow airstrip

owner that
spen=
t more than 30K protecting his strip from legal challenges

brought about
by=
some surrounding propert owner who opposed him of using his

own property
f=
or a legal airstrip.=20
Currently we operate our club, the Treasure Coast Soaring Club

from a
publi=
c use privately owned strip. Development is growing rapidly

within 1/2
mile=
from our strip, we have had no problems yet, I guess the day

will come
whe=
n complaints come from some unhappy resident.

New Hibiscus Airport replaced Hibiscus Airport (from which I first
soloed 53 years ago) which is now full of houses.

John, TCSC started flying here at the New Hibiscus about two years ago, I have flown off the new strip since 1988 and we have our glider club in the old hangar that was moved to the new strip from the old strip. I knew your dad, I think he had a LS1 at the time, I could be mistaken. Our club is doing well, gaining membership almost every week. We are starting on a new towplane project just next week. Bob