Old September 22nd 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default What is a good desktop Simulaor?

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

angelo Campanella writes:

So I went out and spent just over 20 bucks (with tax) and installed
it this eveing. All I can say is that it's come a long way, baby
(since FS5). It seem to have all I need for IFR practice.

It's especially good for that. Since there's no physical movement and
limited visiblity, it's less useful for VFR. But since IFR is all
about watching the instruments, and since the instruments are
simulated quite well in FS, it can be very useful for IFR (even though
it's not certified by the FAA).

I mounted he Mooney (like my acft) ans am now getting familiar. but
the yoke I have (a Logictec Wingman) has a very sqirrely rudder. The
rudder is all over the place! I can't tell whether it is the pot
inside or bad logic somewhere. Taxiing is a menace, and takeoffs a
pain in the butt.

Consider getting a set of pedals. It makes flying the sim a lot more
enjoyable, especially for VFR. I use the Saitek X52 joystick and
throttle, plus the Saitek pedals.

Also, consider getting payware add-on aircraft. Many of the payware
add-ons are so good that using them is almost like getting a new,
upgraded simulator, and they match the real aircraft exactly in
appearance and almost perfectly in behavior, particularly for
instrument flight. RealityXP makes a set of Garmin GPS units that
behave _exactly_ like the real things (because they use Garmin's own
software), and you can practice on the sim and then use the same GPS
unit in real life without missing a beat.

My favorite aircraft for GA is Dreamfleet's Beechcraft Baron 58, but
if you fly a Mooney there's probably someone else out there who has an
ultrarealistic version of that. (Not that the default FS9 aircraft
are _unrealistic_, but the add-ons are in a class by themselves.)

God you're even more pathetic than I thought.

Bertie