Old April 20th 05, 12:29 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Matt Barrow wrote:
You might want to try Deakin's approach of gathering fuel data when alone
and then be rather cautious of warning passengers that the engine will
"burp" before it happens. One aside is that I'd not recommend it with
passengers that are "Nervous Nellie's" to begin with.

What I actually tried doing in the Cherokee Six was staging legs that didn't
require me to run things dry. For example, I could fly a C-210 nonstop from UZA
to MYAM (Rock Hill, SC to Marsh Harbour, Bahamas, 650NM) and land with 1.5 hours
of fuel. The Cherokee Six on the same trip required a stop in VRB (Vero Beach,
FL) to take on fuel.

The only time I ever ran a tank dry with people on board came from such a trip.
I had landed on a main and forgot to switch to one of the other tanks and ran it
dry about 1500 feet in the air immediately after takeoff. The silence was
deafening.

I hate when I do stuff like that.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Pilot's Prayer: "Dear Lord, please don't let me screw up today. And if I do,
don't let anybody see it."