Old March 12th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default Cubcrafters vs. Legend Cub

On Mar 12, 9:39 am, "Jkgoblue" wrote:
I recently got my tail wheel endorsement (in a Citabria) and really
enjoyed the whole experience. What a blast! While I like the Citabria,
the classic cub looks so neat and I'd love to check one out. I'm just
a renter now but I'm toying with owning a tailwheel. I'm quite tall
and I just fit into the Citabria and was wondering if I'd fit in one
of the newer cubs since they advertise it being 4 inches wider. (6'7",
200lbs)

I can't tell you about the new cub but I've got a bunch of time in the
old Cub. I'm 6'4" and it was tight but not nearly as tight as most
planes or that era (Chief, Taylorcraft, etc). Since you fly from the
back seat your feet wrap around the seat in front of you. In a sense,
the pax in the front is sitting in your lap.
The one thing I didn't like about the classic Cub was its lack of
stability. The plane would never fly straight, no mater how well
rigged it was. Everytime you got some wake turb from a humming bird
going by the plane would bob around and go into a turn. You couldn't
take your hand off the stick for long. Even in minor turb you really
felt like you were bobing around in the air. Interestingly, landing
from the back seat is not nearly as big of a deal as your would think.
Once you get your visual picture down the runway on landing (around
the cylinders) its not much different than landing anything else. The
only down side is that you can only see 1/2 the runway on landing
(right or left, your choice) so if a dog were to run out onto the
runway from the side you are not looking at you won't see him coming.

-Robert

-robert