Old November 21st 03, 04:55 PM
Leslie Swartz

20 years of data 1970-1990

Generally speaking, military aircraft rust out before they wear out; vice
versa for civil fleet.

Main result of the finding was that R&M models for civil fleet were pretty
much N/A for military.

Basically a similar missioned/similar sized civil aircraft clocks 5-10
flight hours per flight hour for military aircraft over the same period.

This may have changed, now that ANG/AFRES optempo has increased so much.
But I doubt if they are anywhere near equal yet.

Steve

"Regnirps" wrote in message
"Leslie Swartz" wrote:

C-141 a/B a total slacker compared to almost *any* commercial aircraft.

In 1993 we did a study using AFMC and NTSB/FAA flying hours/calendar hours
to build reliability and maintainability models . . . the absolute *worst*
commercial liner was at least a full order of magnitude higher utilization
than the absolute *best* utilized military aircraft.

Did this include the 60's and 70's? They went overhead in three's all day

every
day for years. I don't recall if they were coming from McChord or Ft.

Lewis.
Maybe both. I caught a ride on one at McChord in about '70. Great airsick
machines when loaded with guys sideways in the webbing benches and just a
couple of tiny windows and a pilot who likes to lose altitude by slipping.
Everybody was fine till the last couple of minutes :-)

-- Charlie Springer