Old November 12th 03, 02:01 PM
Andy Durbin

(Chris OCallaghan) wrote in message . com...
Posted this to the discussion on spinning Blaniks from a coordinated turning stall.

November 9, 2003
Turning Stalls and Insipient Spins

I then entered a shallow bank turning stall (left) while skidding
slightly. As the low wing began to drop, I applied about ½ stick
travel to the right, ostensibly to raise the dropping wing. Entry into
the spin was immediate and dramatic. The glider yawed approximately
ninety degrees while dropping it nose to about 60 degrees below the
horizon. I left the controls in this position for a count of three
(one one thousand, two one thousand?) The glider completed
approximately 1.25 rotations before I initiated a recovery (stick
forward, ailerons neutral, opposite rudder, pull up from dive).

Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to post this report.

It seems that the test aircraft is very unforgiving of poor recovery
technique. Is this typical of modern 15m ships? How would it have
behaved in the same situation with a full ballast load?

When I transitioned from the ASW-19 to the ASW-28 I explored its
characteristics in turning stalls at the aft cg limit and found, just
like the 19, it was benign even with abused control inputs.

Andy (GY)