Old November 12th 03, 11:08 PM
Duane Eisenbeiss

"Don Johnstone" wrote in
message ...

One final question, if a spin is entered at 300 feet
should recovery even be attempted? Are the chances
of survival greater if the glider hits the ground spinning
than if it is part recovered and 'tent pegged'? Interesting
what?

As a matter of interest in this subject let me provide the following.
In the early 1960s I rebuilt a Pratt-Read glider. This glider was used by
the USA Navy during early WW 2 (1941-42?) for flight training. During the
rebuild I obtained an original Navy Flight Manual for the glider. In the
manual, in bold print, was a sentence that stated " If entering a spin below
1000 feet DO NOT attempt recovery."
The reason for this was that the Pratt-Read tended to spin flat. Recovery
from a spin was near vertical for several hundred feet at a speed of more
than 100 mph. Vertical speed in the flat spin was something like 500
ft/min. Therefore it was deemed safer to hit the ground in a flat spin
rather that nose down in a vertical dive.
I would think that most (all??) modern gliders will not spin flat.
Therefore, whether one allows the spin to continue or attempts recovery, the
attitude of the glider will be nose down. With a recovery attempt there is
at least a chance of survival.

Duane