Old June 13th 04, 03:02 AM
tony roberts

Leaving alone the price (which seems high) ask why the club will lease
off you. Interest rates are very low. They could borrow cheap and buy it.
Could it be that leaving you to carry the risk, the maintenance, the
abuse, the rebuilds, the AD's and the whatever else you can thik of is a
better deal for them? You bet it is!
Think about it. They want an aircraft, to put a student in, and let that
student pound it into the runway over and over and over until such time
as they learn to land it. (And once they do learn to land it, that
student will transition to THEIR aircraft, and a new one will start over
in yours. Add to that that they won't have a clue how to lean it -
Welcome to the stuck valve club/melted cylinder club, and they look
around and see you, with your hand up, begging them to use your airplane
to do it all in. Meanwhile, we have the seller telling you that his
aircraft is worth a whole lot more than comparable models, and is using
this arrangement to justify it as an income stream.

I guess the best advice that I can give you is turn around and walk.
When you find the plane that is right for you, you won't even consider
allowing that kind of abuse.

HTH

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article ,
rajek wrote:

I'm considering buying a 1978 Cessna 152 that the owner is leasing to a
flying club. I'd continue to lease it to the club and learn to fly in
it. (I have 3 1/2 hours now.) I'd hope that plane to earn enough money
to cover most of its maintenance and insurance, including a new engine
in a few years.

I met with the owner of the club this afternoon and we went over some
numbers. The plane and the club's other 152 have done a good job of
earning their keep so far. I could accept not quite breaking even.

I understand that renting is cheaper but I'm really excited about the
idea of owning a plane. I also really like that particular model. I flew
one on my last lesson and it was a lot of fun.

Asking price is $28,000. The engine has about 600 hours since the last
overhaul.

I'd also appreciate any comments or advice.

Thanks!