Old January 3rd 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Filing direct with GPS

pgbnh wrote:
The installation of the GNS530 is complete. The learning is just begun. But
since I now have equipment which allows it, what is the likelihood of
receiving 'cleared as filed' if I file direct to a destination a few hundred
miles away?
Is this not what 'Free Flight' was supposed to be about?

Is it geography dependent (I am in Northeast).?
I love victor airways, but D saves time and money.

Any sense of the circumstances under which 'Cleared direct' is likely to
happen for all or a portiuon of a flight?

Even though you may not be able to Fly direct the GPS makes going direct
much easier if given. It also makes flying an airway easier if turns. no
finding the next radial....
Michelle