Old May 6th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default AUTOPILOT PROS & CONS

"STICKMONKE" wrote in
:

I got my IFR rating 7 months ago. I use the KAP140 autopilot a lot.
From climb-out to MDA/DA. I find it really helps in my management of
the plane and the IFR flight. I am interested in comments regarding
the pros and cons of a heavy use/reliance on the autopilot.

PRO: A good autopilot will typically fly an approach as well or better than
a person. Also, it allows the pilot to have time to manage the other
aspects of the flight.

CON: Autopilots can fail. If you exclusively rely on the autopilot to fly
the plane, you quickly become the passenger, not the pilot. You need to
stay attentive and proficient enough that if the autopilot fails, you don't
kill yourself.