Old May 8th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default AUTOPILOT PROS & CONS

My S-Tec 50, a 2-axis, rate-based unit, has operated with only one glitch-- a
bad switch--in 700+ hours since installation.

A friend of mine has a 50 in his Bo, and it hasn't fared as well as
yours. If went 'dead' - meaning no action on aileron control and no
annunciation - multiple times before the problem was resolved. Usually
by the time he got it to the A/P shop it was working again, and the
shop could not figure out what was wrong. Eventually it died for good.
It was a bad motor in the roll servo.

On the flip side, I once instructed a student in an Ovation who told me
his KFC-225 never hiccupped.

Michael