View Single Post
Old March 28th 14, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Android Skew-t app

On Friday, March 28, 2014 11:01:44 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
This is a very worthwhile effort. I get a very readable graph if I turn my Nexus 7 horizontally, set 'low altitude display' and zoom in 2X. That makes the fonts big enough to read easily and displays the altitude of interest (up to about 10K for me). And it allows me to see the wind speed graph at the same time.

The 'time warp' slider is informative and helps to get a feel for how conditions change through the day.

Here are some not necessarily good ideas off the top of my head:

It might be useful to have the option to set surface temperature automatically based on forecast.

For eastern pilots,it might be useful to have the option to display the data to top of 10K, but only if you also had the option to choose a larger font.

It might be useful to display a user-defined vertical line in the wind graph.

It might be useful to display a small circular surface wind direction indicator.

It might not be useful, but I'm curious what one would see if you implemented a 'geographic position' slider, to for example incrementally change the ground position upwind while keeping time constant.

Also somewhat outside the scope of your project, I like to look at how cloud cover is predicted to change through the day.

flub, there is already a site that does all your 'useful' functions splendidly:
http://www-frd.fsl.noaa.gov/mab/soundings/java/

You can load it on your Nexus through any browser. I think the Android app is just fine in displaying a limited subset of that data.
Many thanks Alan, very nice app you put together.