Old September 12th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

Default Rotation

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Mike Rapoport writes:

In both of the airplanes that I fly, I need to trim nose down after
liftoff
as the speed increases.

You can see the same thing in a paper airplane. Make an airplane that
will
glide well, neither pitching down into a dive nor doing a series of
pitch-ups and stalls. Then thow it hard. The harder you throw it the
more
it wants to pitch up.

MSFS may or may not closely represent an actual B58 but the principle is
correct. Whether neutral is the correct position for takeoff depends on
CG.
Jet aircraft have a trim position chard where the correct takeoff setting
is
given for a given CG location. On a twin where the props are blowing
air
across the wing and tail it also depends on how much power the engines
are
producing which is affected by altitude, temperature and mixture setting.

Unfortunately MSFS doesn't seem to provide much documentation on how
to set the trim for each aircraft and situation (or I haven't found
it). I guess I'll have to experiment. Fortunately trial and error is
not dangerous in a sim.

That's because unless there is a specific marking (as there is for takeoff
on the C172 both in RL and in FS9), there is no such thing as a specific way
to set the trim for each situation.

Trimming is a "feel" thing. You trim to relieve control pressures and you
can't see pressure, you can only feel it.

(I will conceed you can trim for straight and level because you can visually
confirm that the VSI and ALT are steady for a given power setting.)

Jay B