Old January 5th 19, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Wanting to start a new glider club

On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 6:16:48 PM UTC-8, WB wrote:
We just went to one of our local banks. Told them we wanted to finance an aircraft and stipulated that we wanted a loan where we could choose to just pay interest if we wanted. I seem to remember that it was Suntrust Bank. They were OK with that. I think we paid maybe $1500 down on a Ka7 that was going for around $8000. Don’t remember the interest rate. Lea County State Bank in Hobbs, NM specializes in glider loans (thanks to their relationship with SSA). They would probably be the logical place to start.

In New Zealand, the national gliding organisation (http://gliding.co.nz/) provides low interest long term loans for clubs to buy gliders.

In my own club we've been fortunate to have one or two reasonably wealthy members who also make low interest loans to the club, for example for the two DG1000 Club gliders purchased in the mid 2000's, and for the new Skylaunch winch purchased two years ago.