Old January 29th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Definition of simulated instrument conditions

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:40:00 GMT, bsalai
wrote:

Does anyone know if Simulated Instrument Conditions is defined anywhere?

The reason for the question is whether one can log instrument time, say
at night, when you don't look outside, but don't wear foggles or a hood?

I can't find anything in the rules that defines simulated instrument
conditions, but since the rule for logging instrument time says both
that flight has to be solely by referenct to instruments in actual or
simulated instrument conditions, that would suggest that more is
required than "solely by reference to instruments" and therefore that
some sort of view limiting device is required.

It wouldn't seem logical to me that "just not looking outside" would
ever count for instrument time.

The now unavailable part 61 FAQ said "Normally, in order to log
instrument flight time under “simulated instrument conditions,” the
pilot needs to be utilizing a view limiting device".

Therefore, to get IMC time out of anything else it needs to meet the
requirements for actual instrument time (real IMC or the classic "VMC
with no useful horizon at night", like looking out over water or unlit
ground with no moonlight etc.