Old March 14th 21, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default soliciting comments on the Pipistrel Apis 15m

I am considering a Pipistrel Apis 15m with the Hirth engine. My searches of RAS have not uncovered much discussion of this glider.

I'm interested in the good, the bad, and the ugly (especially the ugly) of this ship so I can make an informed decision about it.

This ship would definitely be a "floater" as the max wingloading is 5.4 lb/ft2.

My background: I co-own a DG-101 (which I love) but cannot fly nearly as often as I would like due to distance to the soaring club. I am transitioning from the "staying up around the gliderport" stage to cross country pilot. Still quite inexperienced and am looking for a forgiving ship with simple engine operation. At the same time, I'd rather not buy something that I will quickly outgrow, and I want to fly more than I want to turn wrenches.

Other ships I am considering:
DG-400
Silent-IN

-Matt