Old March 29th 05, 06:56 PM
Ken Duffey

TOliver wrote:

"Tiger" wrote in message

Russian Aircraft Carrier On Its Way to North Atlantic
By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, MOSCOW

The Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov left the port of Murmansk
on March 23 to carry out military exercises in the north Atlantic, Russian
news reports said.

For two weeks, the Admiral Kuznetsov will implement a series of military
exercises involving the airplanes on board, ITAR-TASS quoted the Russian
Navy chief-of-command as saying.

More than 40 takeoffs are scheduled to take place during the exercises.

Counting bolters, bingos and senior officer RONs, arrested landing will
likely be less than half that (if things go as planned).

Ahhh, give me the good old days when you could see 40 cat shots long before
being relieved for lunch. Come to think of it, by Summer's early light,
I've seen that many before being relieved (early) for the Forenoon.

Not many Centurions in Russian NAVAIR.....

TMO

Nor will there ever be - as the Admiral Kuznetsov does not 'do' cat shots.

It has a ski ramp - the resident Su-33's wind up to full power and are
held back by retractable 'fingers' in front of the mainwheels.

When these retract, the a/c accelerates up over the ramp.

The Kuznetsov has four arresting wires - and is therfore a 'STOBAR' design.

They did look into - and even built - a working catapult, but rejected
it in favour of the ski jump.

Ken

See my pages at
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...ges/su-27k.htm