Old December 3rd 18, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Which 18m FES sailplane to buy?

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 2:45:01 AM UTC-8, Luka Žnidaršič wrote:
Dne sreda, 28. november 2018 05.01.09 UTC+1 je oseba 2G napisala:
On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 12:22:06 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 2:26:46 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron (Sr) wrote:
Hi John:
I'm 5'7", so I can't help you on fit. But I found both the LAK17 and the Mini completely comfortable, and I think there was extra room beyond my personal dimensions. The 17 and the Mini essentially have the same fuselage, so if you've ever sat in a 17, you would probably find the Mini about the same fit.

As for batteries, I assume one could get support through US/Canadian distributor, but my guess is that any serious repairs would have to come from LZ in Slovenia.

As you probably know, LZ recalled all FES batteries for inspection and upgrade following the two battery fires. Here's what I wrote about that issue for Soaring:

In accordance with a Modification Bulletin
issued by the European Aviation Safety Agency
(EASA), the LAK factory has reinforced the
battery pack housing with flame retardant
fiberglass, installed an independent fire
warning system, and added a safety valve smoke
vent to the battery compartment cover.

The FES system has been with us for about
eight years now. During this time some 180
gliders have been fitted with the engine,
either as self-launch or sustainer. /There
have been no reported engine failures in
flight./ However, there have been two fires
involving the lithium polymer battery packs at
the heart of the FES system. One happened
during a landing in the UK and was
extinguished after the pilot exited the glider
safely. The pilot reported that one of the
battery packs had previously been dropped,
which could have damaged one or more of the
lithium cells. The other fire occurred in a
trailer where the batteries had been stored
with the units still connected, a big “no no“
according to FES maintenance manuals. While
the exact cause of the fires has not been
determined, any fire involving lithium
batteries can be extremely serious – these
units pack a lot of energy and must be handled
with respect.

Slovenian manufacturer of the FES system, has
recalled all the battery packs for disassembly
and inspection. LZ is checking for the
suspected presence of small metal shards, a
possible by-product of machine work on the
battery case cover. Since the individual
lithium cells are housed in plastic bags
rather than hard cases, if a shard were
present it would be possible for it to migrate
during battery usage and penetrate a lithium
cell, potentially causing a short and a
resulting fire. After each inspection is
complete, LZ re-installs all the lithium cells
in a solid matrix of silicon gel, which should
correct the problem.

Regards,

Matt Herron

3 fires. One in the US
UH

I went to the FES presentation in Reno this year. I was unimpressed in the resolution of the fires that have occurred (I am an electrical engineer), especially in not acknowledging the third fire. My advice is to wait until the root cause of these fires has been conclusively identified. Having a parachute (as one friend of mine opined) is not an adequate backup plan.

Tom

Dear Tom,

I think you did not listening carefully, as it was mentioned. The problem with 3rd fire was that owner of the glider was informed and asked by the factory not to use his batteries. So this this 3rd fire could be easily avoided, but he could not resist to use his batteries. This happened when we already had a solution and it was part of the same problem, which could be easily avoided.

Regards,
Luka

Perhaps I didn't listen carefully enough, but I was listening carefully - it was not a part of your presentation, but a question from the audience. Whether the 3rd fire could have been avoided is not the issue here. It is probably better, from a safety analysis standpoint, that it DID occur.

I have read the AAIB report, which was very thorough. The most disturbing part was that there was no root cause found for these fires. Your manufacturing process was careless, which has been corrected, but this wasn't determined to be the cause. The recommendations deal only with mitigating the effects of a fire once it starts. I am concerned that fires will continue to happen. I can only conclude that there are random defects occurring during the manufacture of the cells, and there has been no change made in this area.

Tom