Old December 4th 17, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Bungee Material for Landing Gear and Engine Bay Doors

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 6:00:06 AM UTC-8, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 1:03:26 AM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
...I have had no problem using McMaster Carr 3/16 (~5mm) bungee cord on
my ASH26E, and I've replaced engine bay door bungees several times...

Um, if you've had no problem, why do you need to keep replacing bungees???

Jeez, the ever enquiring mind of Dave Nadler :-) The rear bungee may gets cut off when you remove the doors. (or if you have enough pairs of hand/your act together you take both doors off at once. And the front bungee wears out after many years.. You might also replace them to improve the style of fastening clip attached to the front bungees. Are those enough reasons? :-)

A common problem is people over tightening bungees on Schleicher motorgliders. The doors can bang around sometimes in flight with the mast extended, overtightening the bungees to try to stop that is not a solution, besides that a reminder to fly more coordinated.