Old December 21st 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Status of CVW-17

Nice to join a discussion like this again;-)

As far as I can catch the idea, CVW-17 is not going to be deactivated,
but stays there to serve as a warehouse of "spare" squadrons, to be
assigned to other wings if needed. I even heard the rumours that
someday (in 2009?) it deplys again, with a set of FOUR Super Hornet
squadrons assigned.

I'd be also curious of the current status of other units, like CVW-2 or
CVW-8. CVW-2 should be in a maintenance phase (Lincoln is in the
yards), so I wonder if VFA-34 are still with them. CVW-8 makes some FRP
training, but it must be missing a squadron (VFA-31 is not yet
operationally capable, starting their transition to F/A-18Es).

Remember - now it is the "Pool" philosophy, what means squadrons are no
longer permanently assigned to particular air wings, so every move may
generate the others.

Best regards,
Jacek Zemlo
(superhornet at go2 dot pl)