Old January 21st 20, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Default WGC Final Report, John Good

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 2:17:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
https://ussoaringteams.org/john-good...c#comment-5830

It seems clear that the intent and spirit of the 15 minute delayed tracking rule were well understood by all.
Using an unsecured tracking site to eliminate the 15 minute delay is a violation of the intent and spirit of the rule.
While it could be argued that there was no specific rule against using the unsecured GFA tracking data, the intent and spirit of the 15 minute delayed tracking rule were still being violated.
The honorable action for whomever on the Australian team, discovered the unsecured GFA site would have been to report it to the competition organizers so that the issue of un-delayed / unsecured GFA tracking could have been mitigated in some fashion.
Competitive soaring to me is a wonderful thing, testing pilot skill against pilot skill at a high level. Using loopholes to violate the intention and spirit of rules clearly created to create a level playing field, degrades and dishonors our sport to just another "best cheater wins" sport.