Old January 21st 20, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default WGC Final Report, John Good

John did a great job on the summary, but I'd like to think there is another path forward in the rules.

1) Like Golf, the rules could be focused on testing pilot skill assuming the pilots police themselves. The idea that some rule would not be practical because it is hard to enforce seems contrary to the sort of folks that soaring draws. This might include the idea that self enforcement draws a smaller penalty than getting caught.

2) The current rules are written in the negative which creates loopholes for what you have forgotten. If, instead they listed what was permitted, then the opportunity for the holes might be less. For example, the pilot is only permitted information from the following electronic means...

I think depending on the race, there is room for wildly different permitted lists. Grand Prix might expect a ground controller and full tracking with the controller on the podium along with the pilot. A pilot testing race might go the opposite with a very short list.