Old January 21st 20, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default WGC Final Report, John Good

At 00:36 21 January 2020, John Foster wrote:
On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 5:23:28 PM UTC-7, mart wrote:
I completely agree that it should be pilot skills and not technology

that=
determines the winners.
=20
=20
Your idea is unfortunately very easy to circumvent, put someone in a

car
=
near the end of the runway at launch time with a reciever and write down
co=
de and rego.=20
=20
I would more go for random turnpoints in a circle so that every pilot

fli=
es the same distance but you wont know if the pilot you see has done more
o=
r less of the task than you did.

I think it could simplify a lot of things if they changed the rules to be
m=
ore like sailboat racing. The start line opens at a specific time, and
who=
ever crosses the line first is the winner. None of this delayed start
stuf=
f. Everyone is racing against each other in real time. The guys behind
ca=
n see where the leaders are climbing, and maybe make up some time, but in
o=
rder to win, you have to be in front. Much like they do in SGP racing.
Th=
at format just makes more sense to me. I realize it is quite a bit
differe=
nt from how things have been done for many years, but it could eliminate

=
lot of the advantages folks would get from this whole live-tracking

thing.

Distance Handicap Tasks do this great for handicap competition even with
pilot selected start time. see www.handicaptask.uk