Old May 19th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

Default panel fastening ideas

On May 19, 9:32*am, "Tim Ward" wrote:
wrote in message

I would like to add some lightweight insulation and interior panels to
my tube and fabric aircraft. *Any good ideas for attaching the panels
without having visible fasteners? *I'm thinking something like those
plastic automotic clips... but not. * They always seem to break off in
my cars. *Even more so in the plane since the panels get removed every
year for inspection. *I can weld on little tabs if needed. *Any ideas?

Velcro does eventually wear out, but it's nice and flexible.
3M has a plastic connector made of a forest of balls on sticks that takes
more force to remove.
Snaps can work pretty well, too, though they may not be invisible.

Tim Ward

You can find Velcro in various ratings as to the number of cycles
before it becomes ineffective and to the force required to separate.
Some of the specifications I have seen indicated that the Velcro would
probably out live me and still be going strong (10,000 plus cycles).
Don't just go to your local hobby store to find the Velcro but check
out sources like McMaster Carr where you can review the
specifications.