Old October 3rd 03, 02:40 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Tom Cooper" wrote in message ...
"Hobo" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tom Cooper" wrote:

. But, no: a vast majority of the Pakistanis have
nothing in common with the West, nor any access to it

Pakis have vastly greater access to the West than Iranians.

Can you confirm this by some statistics? How many Pakistani students have
studied on Western universities in the last 30 years, just for example?

The operative word is "have", not had. Recent US statistics supporting
his assertion are included further below; in the case of the UK, your
statistics for 2000 indicate a grand total of some six hundred Iranian
student visas, versus more than three thousand Pakistani visas.

http://www.britishcouncil.org/educat.../visastats.xls

I know that the Shah was sending something like 250.000 Iranian students to
study in the USA and Europe between 1970 and 1974 alone, or that there were
over 700.000 Iranians working in German car-factories and mines in the late
1970s alone. I don't know how it is in the USA, but the Europe is still full
of Persian MDs.

Not annualy he wasn't.

It is much
easier for a Paki to study engineering at MIT than an Iranian.

Again: have you any statistics that confirms this?

www.fiu.edu/~pie/docs/Intl_98-99.doc

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/...2002tables.pdf

Note that in 98-99, there were some 5K plus Pakistanis studying in US
universities, and no reported Iranian nationals. The official US
statistics for 2002 list a grand total of 295 student visas to
Iranians, and again over 5K to Pakistanis. So yeah, the poster was
correct, and there is your evidence.

Brooks

snip