Old November 3rd 16, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default best tow rope length

And the discussion may go on and on... After all, that's what this group is for. The only issue is that we tend to stick to our opinions or practices, because that's what we were taught by our respectable instructors. Long rope vs. short rope, high tow vs low tow (Australia), smooth "Lufthansa" landing and roll out vs "low energy" touch down (Germany), left vs right turn after release, the right of way in ridge soaring etc., etc.

On my part, from close to 1000h flight time, slightly more than half tows were done on a 100' rope, the rest here in US with 200' rope. No problems ever with either.

In my homeland (Poland) all glider pilots have to read and sign off all the glider accidents bulletins, issued by the national aviation accidents investigation agency. Somewhere in the discussion, someone asked for the accidents rate with regards to the tow rope length. Well, I can't recall a single case where the 100' rope would be indicated as the cause or factor in an accident; nor was there ever a recommendation made to use longer ropes (otherwise it would have been implemented). And yes, we do care about safety...

Inspired by this discussion I asked my gliding ground school instructor, still active at 85 yrs of age and with about 50 yrs of instruction experience.. He couldn't recall any situation where 30 meters long rope was not long enough. Actually, after a moment of reflection, he said: Anything 20 meters or more is OK.

Additional (longer) ropes would be used for a double or triple tow (yes, two or three gliders behind one tow plane), a common practice and endorsement one generation ago. It was mostly for towing the gliders from one aero club to another for competitions, to save time and gas.

I wonder how many pilots expressing their opinions here have actually any experience with shorter, i.e. 100' tow rope. Or just speculating?

How come nobody mentions the importance of the rope slack taking-up training with the 200' rope? Much less risk with 100'. And the point about the tow plane and glider being in the same air mass remains valid as well. Yes, shorter time for reaction, but aren't we supposed to be extremely focused on tow at all times and react immediately?

Talking about additional safety, it always amazes me how some countries/individuals generously approve of flying gliders without parachutes and radios.. Yes, I have friends who bailed out and saved their lives. Another topic for a world-wide brainstorming discussion, and not the first one on the issue.

And finally yes, it's the end of the season mood...