Old August 26th 04, 04:35 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article ,
(BUFDRVR) wrote:

Mailman wrote:

...which proves, yet again, how little journalists understand: setting
the
transponder/IFF to emergency mode is done in a hijacking - or any other
emergency.

Uhhh...no. The ICAO transponder emergency distress code is 7700 while
hijacking
is (I think??) 7200. There's also one for NORDO (No Radio) which I think
is
7600.

Hijack is 7500. For some reason I haven't fathomed, the FAA ATC
procedure is to contact the aircraft by radio and ask "Sir, please
confirm you are squawking 7500."

Has it occurred that just maybe, here and there, a hijacker just might
not notice the transponder code was changed?