Old April 25th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default A strange richness...

With my Super Viking, Continental IO520-D, I used a similar method to
Jim's... Was able to hot start within 3 blades 99% of the time... And
likewise, you couldn't slam the mixture to full rich or it would flood,
you advanced it gently feeling the engine getting smoother or rougher
as you went and reacting appropriately... Also flew a D model Aztec
heavily during those years.. Same method, same results... Once you
know your engines you can almost 'feel' how much or how little to
prime... Flooding the engine and then pumping down is the most likely
way to run down the battery, melt the solder in the starter, and leave
the pilot in a swearing heap, so of course it is the recommended method
in the POH...

denny