Old February 24th 04, 09:19 AM
pacplyer

"Capt.Doug" wrote in message ...

#69:

I just came back from a trip. I was flying with another fellow who's
background is similar to mine. We both grew up in South Florida and learned
to fly during the 'Miami Vice' years. He recounted a tale from his days of
working line. He was pumping gas one day when a grundgy Twin Beech came in
from the islands and was swarmed by DEA agents soon after landing. This was
a fairly regular thing in those days. The difference about this tale is that
the pilot didn't get busted.

"Good, give yourself to the dark cargo side Doug, Hisss hisssss! If
you only knew the power of the dark side of aviation writing!"

The agents eventually left the Twin Beech and came to my friend's ramp to
fuel their own plane. He asked the agents about the details. It seems that
the pilot worked for an insurance company and stole the plane back from some
dopers who stole it first. The agents had been staking out the island and
the plane for some time. They saw the plane start the take-off roll and then
they saw the dopers start firing their guns at the plane. They figured about
300 rounds were fired. The agents cornered the Beech after it landed to find
out what was going on. They wanted to know what the heck had just happened.
They wanted to know how the pilot got past their surveillance. They wanted
to know how the pilot got past the dopers.

As I listened to my fellow pilot's tale, I started to remember those days
from a long time ago. I keep those memories to myself though. Most folks
hear those stories and associate the pilot with being a reckless cowboy. I
have to maintain a reputation as a professional pilot, so I just keep quiet.
Maybe some day after I reach the official old pilot age of 60, when I don't
need my professional reputation any more, I'll write a book.

D.

"But it is too late for me, my son. I've been branded a Union Cowboy
for about eleven years now. Hisss Hisss {8^# Obi-Wan never told you
what happened to young Doug Skywalker. Hisss Hissss, He got a real
airline job and avoided the dark side.... But it's not too late...
The hot-dog force is strong in you... You can destroy the FAA
Administrator, he has foreseen this... this is why he won't let you
tell tall flying stories on Usenet (under your own name, anyway!)

Join me, and together we'll write the story of RAH, and rule the
internet as Aviation Brothers!

Sorry, I lost myself in the part there for a minute...

I was called "the duke" by co-pilots when our South Pacific base first
opened up; a reference to my raging around the system wearing an
indiana jones-type hat. I way exceeded my authority out there on a
regular basis, including refusal to use autopilots into the P.I. until
the map shift issue was resolved and stuffing mailboxes with
organizing letters. I was given extra "cowboy" line checks, but
passed them all, so I know what you're talking about.

Yes I heard that Florida stuff was exciting. Love to hear some
"ficticious" stories about that area from you Doug. Tom Clancy always
gets away with it by just using the blanket statement "its just
fiction." He's carefull to change the names completely and twist the
details around so that any pursuit will come up empty-handed. What
the hell. You only live once.

pac "rawhide" plyer