Old September 20th 05, 09:19 PM

If the airplane was going through an annual inspection, the IA should
have generated a list of discrepancies of what didn't pass and given
that to the owner. At that point the annual was complete.

An ordinary A&P could then bring the aircraft back to airworthinness
condition without the need for the IA.

I don't believe that there is anywhere where the FSDO could have
demanded anything except to do a ramp inspection after the aircraft had
been flying.

Denny wrote:
Oh, and BTW, mechanics cannot ground airplanes
Yup, true fact...

Though one local recently got into a ****ing match with his API over
some annual inspection issues on a well worn TriPacer (couple of 3
year olds in adult bodies)-
including the CAR 23 original equipment single mag switch that has only
two positions - off and on -
and the fabric passing the punch test though at the lowest allowable
reading, and the mechanic refused to sign it off..

The owner (an AP but not an I) demanded the mechanic turn the plane
back to him now, or else... The mechanic did, but he put an entry in
the log book that the airplane was unairworthy and called the FSDO and
faxed them a copy of the log entry... It took a ferry permit to get it
off the field...
So, the plane was shopped around to several API mechanics before he
found one that would touch it... 6 months later and it is still not
flying... The story I hear is that the FSDO inspector is demanding
documentation that they are having problems coming up with...

While an mechanic cannot "ground" an airplane he can do a fair
imitation if he is determined...

denny