Old May 21st 04, 04:57 AM
Teacherjh

What about I'm assigned 5000, and I'm level at 5000. I request
a "cruise 7000" and am granted that request. ("347FB cruise
seven thousand").

Why would you request a descent and approach clearance if all you wanted was
to climb from 5000 to 7000? If you want a higher altitude, ask for a higher
altitude.

I didn't say that "all I wanted" was to climb... I said what my ATC request
was, and gave no indication as to why. When I ask ATC for a clearance, they
don't ask me why.

But to give you one scenario, I'm at 5000, nearing my destination, and there's
a big bad cloud in front of me which goes from 2000 to 6000. I don't want to
enter the cloud because I'm afraid of the dark. Or maybe there's ice. Or
maybe my passenger's uncomfortable. Or maybe I just want to test the system.
Or maybe it's for training.

So, a "cruise 7000" lets me climb over this cloud, and then descend back down
to 5000, and then descend to my destination and do the approach (where the
conditions are 800-2, but it's a nice cloud, not a big bad cloud, and I've
already pushed my passenger overboard anyway)

1: is this an improper request? (never mind whether it will
accomplish what anybody thinks I want to accomplish)

Yes.

Why is the request =improper=? (again, never mind whether it accomplishes what
you may think I want to accomplish) And why would granting it be improper?

you cannot get to 7000 from 5000 without climbing. [...] I advise you to get
off the drugs.

What do you think the drugs are for?

Jose