Old May 18th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default Mxsmanic , IFR sensations, and some other stuff

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Without getting into a whole magilla concerning right and wrong, simply
let me say that in my opinion physical sensation should never, and I
repeat it again so that there's NO mistake....NEVER be used to verify or
augment an instrument reading. In my opinion, this is what proper scan
technique is all about. You verify instruments CONSTANTLY using other
instruments, right on down to primary panel if necessary, but in my
opinion, the basic concept of ignoring physical cues and sensations while
on instruments is a sound principle ans should be followed to the letter.

I won't argue with a single word of that.

But...

That doesn't make physical sensations irrelevent or unimportant. In fact, it
is the MISLEADING sensations that are very important in the sense that, if
you don't have significant experience "playing over" them, one typically
ends up dead (in real life). Sitting on your lazy boy, those sensations
don't happen - you always feel "coordinated" - you don't get disoriented,
you don't experience vertigo - which makes flying in simulated IMC stupid
easy compared to real life.

And, I would argue that _no_ _ammount_ of desktop simulation will _ever_
prepare you for the assult on your senses that can happen when things aren't
going well in real life soup.

One may think that one can handle real IMC based on desktop experience - but
without realizing just how difficult it is to ignore your inner ear
screaming lies at you, one doesn't really have any idea what flying real IMC
is like - I would bet that an experienced "sim only" pilot would pull the
wings off in less than 3 minutes in real life.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com