Old August 24th 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
P. Corbett

Default line vs progressive lenses for sunglasses

Kevin Anderson wrote:
Help. I am at that age. I wear contacts for distance vision but now my
arms are getting too short also. Causing headaches and queasiness when
trying to read my instruments, especially the PDA.

I would like to hear back from others on what decision they made on
progressive vs. lined lenses for sunglasses?

Thanks
Kevin
SGS 1-26 192

Kevin

I am going to assume that you are between 45 and 50 years old.

First, most people who are faced with their first pair of multifocal
glasses cannot bring themselves to wear glasses with lines. Thus they
usually prefer progressive lenses. Progressive lenses are easiest to
adapt to if you have never worn conventional bifocal lenses so you will
likely do well with them. If you are closer to 45 than 50, trifocals are
not required.

An important consideration is where the top of the reading segment is
placed and it can get expensive if the lenses have to be remade if this
is not done right the first time. To help avoid this problem, select a
non-prescription sunglass that you like, buy a set of the stick-on
reading segments and experiment with the placement of them while sitting
in your glider. Then take the glasses to the optician and let them note
the placement of the segments.

If you will tell me your age, and the distance from your eyes to the
panel and the PDA, I will tell you what strength of stick-on segment to buy.

Cheers,

Paul