Old March 14th 04, 06:31 PM
Andrew Gideon

Jay Honeck wrote:

We don't, actually. We fight criminals.

There's no expectation that crime will cease.

Really? I was under the impression that our criminal justice system was
meant to be a deterrent.

In other words, we expect crime to cease, given enough punishment.

There's no word such as "incorrigible" in your dictionary grin?

However, you're mixing two related but different concepts. We do hope that
increasing the cost of crime will dissuade some [potential] criminals. But
laws falling under the "three strikes" concept acknowledge that some people
will commit crimes forever.

If we'd a way to identify these people at birth, then perhaps...but we
don't.

So we fight criminals with the goal of keeping crime as infrequent as we can
manage.

- Andrew