Old December 17th 14, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default "All-terrain" main wheel dolly

On Monday, December 15, 2014 10:39:37 PM UTC-7, Bastoune wrote:
All - I am looking for an "all-terrain" wheel dolly for a 15M glider main wheel. I am familiar with the GoJack type products (http://www.zendextool.com/gojak/ ) but unfortunately, the size of the casters will not handle gravel surface. Tires will probably have to be 10" pneumatic to do the job on gravel.

I am looking for pictures of a DIY solution, an existing products, or ideas on how to go about it. The wheel dolly needs to be multidirectional and be able to handle a gravel/unimproved hangar floor. Thanks for any ideas or leads!

Bastoune

We had a 'glider spoon' at the old Enstone GC. It was used on an uneven surface to stack gliders in the quonset style hangar from the end. I built a couple locally, one for my self and another for the club as we had gravel floors. Most gliders were on dollies, which only moved in and out sideways.. The hangar floor and ramps were paved a few years ago, so now castering dollies are in use. A 'glider spoon' has two 10 or 12 inch wheels, a round ring with a dish or chains for the main wheel and a long handle. The glider is lifted and jockeyed with the handle. One person can lift a two-seater like a Grob-103 or an L-23. Indeed, the spoon has been used on a few occasions to rescue the two-seaters with flat main wheels from the runway and return them to the hangar for repair, sometimes a few hundred yards without too much effort. Haven't found a picture yet.

Frank Whiteley