Old August 26th 04, 03:47 AM

Aaron Coolidge wrote in message ...

I thought that as a rule overhaulers listed exactly which parts went into
each engine. Mind, my experience is limited to one overhauler (Pacific
Continental Engines) and one engine (mine: O-360-A4A). I did not have
the engine overhauled, but the build sheet came with the airplane when I
bought it. It listed by manufacturer (Lyc, Superior, etc) and part number
just about every component in the engine. With this I have been able to
avoid AD notes on piston pins, con rod bolts, fuel pumps, etc.

It's been a couple years since I've been exposed to a set of genuine
Lycoming engine logs/docs. Hopefully they've gotten better, they used
to be about the worst for not listing what you really want to see.
The custom guys do a much better job. Lycoming does list specific SB
compliance, but that doesn't do ya much good when new ones are issued.

It's a sad fact that there are really no life-limited (and a lot of no
s/n) items inside their engines, so technically there is no
requirement for them to be listed. There are some mandatory
replace-at-overhaul parts, but that's a little bit different.
Essentially, if Lycoming makes a log entry with M/N, S/N, TT, TSOH, a
"legal" description of the work performed, that's all they have to do.

It hasn't been that many years ago that they provided no documentation
for installed external accessories. Seriously. Once had a conference
call with tech support at Lycoming with my principal FAA inspector
listening in. He bounced me on a Pt 135 records check on a "factory"
overhaul for no specific records for the magnetos, carb, and
alternator. Lycoming's response was "as the OEM, we're not required to
provide them".

Not too long after, they started providing a build sheet with the
status/detailed description of the externals.

TC