Old December 11th 05, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Turbine Duke or turbine Baron?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I got an email response from the guys at Rocket Engineering about their
PT6A conversion of a P-Baron. He mentioned they're finishing STC work
for their turbine Duke conversion and I wondered which airplane might
make the better platform for conversion. Their preliminary numbers for
the -21 engined P-Baron are : Max climb rate 5000ft/min, useful load
2050, time to climb to 25,000 7min., high speed cruise of 300+ kts at
FL250 @ 64gph, long range cruise 250+ kts at FL250 @ 46gph which sounds
pretty impressive (to me, anyway) but I wonder if the Duke would be any
faster with the same power? I've read here previously that the Duke is
pretty draggy as airframes go and should/could be faster with its 380hp
Lycs. With a stated cost of $767k for the Duke with new -21 engines it
sounds like that a pretty cheap way to go fast (everything's relative,
right?)

Wooly

For the same money, you could buy a Mitsubishi Solitaire and go faster with
a larger cabin and (probably) more reliable systems. I did see the turbine
Duke when it landed in Sandpoint and it looks great.

Mike
MU-2