Old May 29th 04, 04:04 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 28 May 2004 19:33:13 -0700, (Slav Inger) wrote:

Hi all,

Question: take a look at the VOR Rwy 28 approach at Marshall Brooks
field (RMY). I've filed IFR to airports where the VOR IAF happened to
be the VOR which was no problem, I'd just have that VOR be the last
fix in the route box on flight plan form. In RMY's case, the IAF
appears to be the intersection ALBIO. So, on the flight plan, should
the route terminate at ALBIO? That intersection isn't even on the
enroute chart. Thanks.

P.S. Sorry haven't posted in a while, have had no time to read or
post. Hope y'all are doing well.

- Slav

Although it's done in the military (or, at least, it used to be that way),
under Part 91 there is no 'rule' that says you have to file to an IAF.

So I don't pay any particular attention to that procedure. If I am filing
airways, I'd usually file to the last VOR on my route. For example, coming
from my home airport, I'd probably file ...JXN direct. If my computer did
it, the routing would be ...JXN V116 ECKDO direct.

It doesn't really matter. When you get close, ATC will assign an approach
and give you the routing they want you to fly. Or give you radar vectors.
And if you lose communications, they'll protect the IAF airspace anyway.

If I were coming from the South or West, I'd probably file via LFD or BTL
since there are feeder routes from those VOR's to the IAF.