Old December 16th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John[_8_]

Default HUD view of a near-miss

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:01:22 -0800, "Mike Kanze"
wrote:

During the run-in for our third or fourth pass, some bozo in a 172 comes toodling north right across our run-in line about 500' below us. We saw him and pulled up just as he passed under our big A-6 nose.

Similar incident: I had a student doing strafing runs at Yankee Target
west of NAS Chase. We had just rolled in and was about 2 seconds away
from trigger time when this Cessna 206 flew right through our sights
at an estimated 100' AGL. I called "abort" and we pulled off target.
Lead rolled in on him to get his number but he had none!

Another opportunity lost - dude was probably running drugs (he was
headed northeast) and would have served him right if he had been a few
seconds later and gotten a cockpit full of inert 20mm!!!!!!!!

John Alger USN(ret)
1972-1997 // 1310,1320
TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B