Old December 7th 10, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default tso altimeter

Andy,

I was getting that equivalence from my LS8 manual and the JAA Form
One, and it isn't straight forward.

Go to this site: http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/Data/Ma...-maint-man.pdf
and look on page 6-1. They list 3 Winter altimeters, each with a TS
10.220/xx designation which they title TCDS No., and then they say "or
other Altimeters approved according to TSO, JTSO or ETSO for use in
aircraft...A similar FAA approved altimeter to meet TSO C10...may be
used." This descriptor (TS 10.220/xx) is only used in DG and Stemme
flight manuals, as far as I can tell.

On the JAA Form One for my 4 FGH 40 altimeter, the designation TS
10.220/48 appears in Block 13. In Block 14 the Airworthiness box is
checked, and the words "Certifies that the part identified above
except as otherwise specified in Block 13 was manufactured in
accordance with the applicable design documents and with the
airworthiness regulations of the stated country" describe Block 14.

This of course is all circumstantial. No where on the Winter
Bordgerate site can I find a TSO mentioned, nor do they use the TS
10.220/xx designator anywhere on their site.

Just to add more fun, for my Becker AR 4201 transceiver the JAA Form
One gives JTSO 2C37d and 2C38d in the description in Block 7. In Block
13 it lists LBA O.10.911/87. The LS8 manual cited above lists similar
10.911/xx designators for other radios, and adds the words "or other
radios approved according to TSO, JTSO or ETSO for use in aircraft".

The common use of the 10.yyy/xx designator makes me suspect this
describes a design document that supercedes or incorporates the
relevant TSO. But of course, that's a guess, primarily based upon DG
associating such a designator with a TSO.

-John

On Dec 7, 4:51 pm, Andy wrote:
My research indicates that the European equivalent of TSO C10b is ETSO-
C10b. I have searched for "TS 10.220/48" but can't find it anywhere.
Can you tell us how you know TS 10.220/48 is equivalent to TSO C10b.
Not saying it isn't, but would like to have a reference.