Old July 13th 18, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On 07/13/2018 05:46 AM, Eric Foertsch wrote:
I have a Cambridge GPS-NAV. I am trying to download a flight log. It looks like the Aero Explorer software is reading it from the GPS-NAV ok, but then a dialog box pops up with an error msg "Error writing flight log to disk."

I was able to download logs earlier this year, but was running on a different PC with Windows 7 (I think). I now am using a machine with Windows 8.1. I did try turning off the Avast antivirus software with no luck.

I was able to download the log via SeeYou but I wanted to download it via the Cambridge software for use as an official flight for badge purposes.

If SeeYou works, just use it. No requirement to use Cambridge software.
Check the dates, many old recorders will show a date 18 years in the
past, invalidating the log. Submit to OLC as an easy check for IGC
security being valid.

Get rid of Windows 8.1, it was a disaster. M$ tried to upgrade everyone
to 10. But using obsolete software and hardware with modern OS's leads
to lots of problems. Update to something like an LXNAV Nano, which acts
like a USB memory device and lets you just copy the file out easily.
Trying to use RS-232 devices in this day and age is a waste of time.

-Dave

Any ideas on what to try other than finding a PC with an older version of Windows? (Or upgrading my logger?)