Old January 30th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default O-360 sticking valve update

nrp wrote:
: Your observations were discussed at our coffee-shop klatch this morning
: & a new possible theory came out. A local EAAer had a factory reman
: Continental C-90-12F that would sag immediately post-takeoff. He
: wrestled with the problem for about 300 hrs before he tore it down.

: He found that there was insufficient ring gap and that the cylinder
: bores had become glazed such that they looked like mirrors. He rehoned
: them and reassembled & it fixed the problem completely.

: I too find it hard to believe, but it might at least be worth a look
: into the cylinders next time you have the plugs out.

Interesting. How does that cause a power sag... just extra friction? Seems
unlikely in my situation since I've got chrome jugs (*already* mirror smooth except
for channels), excellent compression (78-80/80 on all four), and 8 hours/qt of oil
consumption.

Might try to get ahold of a borescope and have a looksee though.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *