Old October 8th 04, 10:41 AM
Ben Flewett

Is the LS10 a Winner's Glider?

- Winner glider with a looser price tag.

What a strange thing to say. The LS10 is roughly
the
same price as other high performance 18m gliders.

As always you get what you pay for. You can spend
a lot and get an ASW22BLE, or you can spend a little
and get a K6.

From you previous postings I know you would go ape
if I said of the Jantar?

?A winner price tag but a looser glider?

- I wouldn't go ape, in fact I couldn't care less
about what you
think. When you'll get to a level for instance of S.Kawa
who won this
year club class flying this 'loser glider' maybe your
word will count
for something, but in a mean time it's just a useless
mumbling. You
seem to have a problem with anything that came out
of Poland and that
is what really bothers me. Mr. Johnson's flight evaluations
of both
Ls-3 and Ls-4 turned out to be very interesting proving
you might not
always get what you've paid for. I just question the
importance of
paying 130K for a glider in era when our sport is dying.

Here we go again. You continually interpret my criticism
of the IGC’s choice of the PW5 as the glider for the
World Class as an attack on all Polish gliders.

The PW5 has it’s place in the world – same as a K6
and an ASW22BLE. I just don’t think it’s a good choice
for the World Class as its way too expensive for a
glider that delivers 1960s performance.

If you re-read my email I wasn’t actually calling the
Jantar a loser glider, I was simply making a point.
So lose the red mist. However, I have flown a Jantar
and I don’t like them. There is no “feel” in the handling
and I dislike the seating position. But I don’t dislike
them because they are Polish.

I find your criticism of the LS10 price tag strange.
If you want a top 18m glider that will be competitive
at an international level you have to part with some
cash. Have you ever heard anyone say of Schumacher’s
Ferrari…

“A winning car with a loser price tag”

130k is a lot to pay for a glider but that’s what top
of the range 18m gliders cost and plenty of people
feel they are good value for money. If you don’t want
to spend so much, fly the club class… the level of
competition is just as good.